Wednesday 13 June 2012

It's only the beginning.......

Wednesday - Day 17
Definitely not getting up for sunrise this morning, but I'm happy to sit by the pool and reflect for a while.


Today is our final day in Bali and if we didn't already have two trips in the wings, I'd feel really sad.
We have really only brushed the surface and there is so much more I want to see.
I know I always feel the same at the end of a holiday and go home with big plans for the next one, but it doesn't always happen as life often gets in the way.

I already know I want to spend more time in Ubud after our short visit, (not sure if Trevor does).
Before we came we wondered if Sanur would be too quiet and I have to admit it's seems sleepy in some ways, but that is it's appeal. It's a great place to unwind and relax.
Seminyak streets are so busy, but I love the little back alleys and meandering lanes never knowing what is around the next corner.
Legian is a fun place, especially with a group of friends. I know it's a tourist trap and if that was all one saw of Bali then you would be missing so much. I do so wish I'd seen one sunset on the beach all the same.

But what about all the other areas away from the tourist market..........the places yet to be found......
One song comes to mind and I've taken the lyrics out of text but it sums up what I feel...........

It's only the beginning 
But I've already gone and lost my mind 
I feel like making daisy chains 
And playing hide'n' seek 
When it's only the beginning 
The fairy dust is still in flight 
And this could be the love of a lifetime.........

Trevor is up now and joins me for a swim until we feel the need to give in to my never ending thoughts of eating. I'm sure this doesn't happen at home.
I've already decided I want to try "The Porch" cafe as I've seen the sign a few times when going past and I read the reviews on TA and it sounds good.

We choose to head out on foot as it's a little overcast now and I don't think it's too far up the road.
After passing lots of other names of restaurants and cafes I've heard or read about, I'm seriously starting to wonder how much further we have to go when there it is, just ahead.
OMG, it's actually the restaurant of "Flashbacks Bungalows" where the bemo driver thought we were staying yesterday. Now that's co-incidence, I think.
http://www.flashbacks-chb.com/

It's later than I'd planned so any breakfast ideas have long gone. We choose a platter of cold meats, cheese and other condiments and their Quesadilla to share and we are not disappointed. Yummy iced chocolate as well. Now that filled the hole.
Nearly everywhere we eat I end up using the "bathroom". Not because I really need to, but more because I don't want to get half way down the road and have to try and find somewhere in a hurry that is less hygienic than I prefer to deal with. The ones here are lovely and clean.
On the way back to meet Trevor, I check out the back decking area and it's very cozy corners.
The bungalows are beyond here.


Back out on the street, I notice the clouds have half hidden the sun as we turn left to check out the Tamukami Hotel.........yet another one of the places that I was very keen on when we were in the planning stages of this trip.
http://www.tamukamibali.com/index.html

The staff are so nice and show us a "bungalow suite" which has a separate shower (for backs like mine), but I was keen on viewing the Tamukami Suite as it supposedly had "coffee making facilities" as well.
Both rooms were great, but I think I'd probably choose the "bungalow suite" as long as it was a ground floor room.




I love walking down the driveway out onto Jl. Danau Tamblingan.


It's around 1.00pm by this time and we head up to the Ajanti Villa to have a look around.
We were hoping to look through a one bedroom villa, but they could only show us a 2 bedroom villa.
Apparently they are much the same set up.
I managed to sneak a quick photo of a 1 bedroom villa's pool as we walk past. I love the aged timber look of the villa doors.
I like the position and the fact that you can get through to the beach.



Checking what money we have left, we need to make sure we have enough for our departure tax tomorrow and then decide to get a little more out of the whole in the wall, it doesn't matter if we don't spend it as we will need some when we arrive late at night in October.

We decide to head back to our villa for the rest of the afternoon and manage to get a taxi for a change.
Once we are dropped off I wander down Jl. Cemara as it's still bugging me how we ended up in the "wrong" restaurant last night.
I can see the Paon sign and then realise the other one is barely visible when you are walking towards it from this side. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.



I continue around the corner a little further as there is hardly any traffic. It's like it's siesta time in Sanur. Oh there's a name for another blog post.



Back to the villa we swim, read and relax before heading out for our last meal in Bali.
I've become a bit "snap happy" this afternoon and take a few more photos of the villa as well. I probably should write a review on TA when we get back.




 The second bedroom and bathroom




Entrance & driveway

 

I  love these pavers

We'd been trying to decide where to go for our last dinner, I was keen on dining on the beach but we couldn't decide where and it had come up a little overcast and stormy looking by the time we were ready to venture out.
It got down to two choices "Caramel Restaurant" at the Kamuela Villas and "charming".

In the end "charming" won and we set off around 8pm.
Lucky we get there when we did as it absolutely bucketed down 10 minutes later and we move further into the restaurant.
We next choose a table part way inside away from the weather, but still under a fan as it is quite humid. I have to laugh when I'm given a little chair for my handbag.
The decor and ambiance is very relaxing and I wonder what it looks like in daylight. I love all the timber.


Deciding not to have entree as we've been nibbling on cheese, dip and crackers all afternoon, we spend ages perusing the menu before making up our minds.
We order our drinks and our "complimentary bread, dips and crudites" arrive at the same time.
Trevor has chosen a Caprioska while I'd ordered a Mojito and both drinks are very strong, too strong for Trevor so we swap.


For some reason I'm the target of mozzies tonight, more so than any other night since we've been in Sanur. Not sure if this is due to the weather.
The restaurant isn't very busy and while the staff are very courteous they seem just a little disinterested and aloof.
Unfortunately there's no entertainment either, so someone chooses to make his own.



Our meals arrive about 30 minutes after and we are quite happy. They are very well presented and taste good too.

Trevor's Balinese Prawns

My steak with mustard sauce

While consuming our mains we order another cocktail, this one seems even stronger than the first one, even for me who considers themselves a "cocktail connoisseur".
We manage to finish them, but have no room for dessert (typical).
The complimentary drink given at the completion of dining is unfortunately wasted on us as we roll out the door to go home.
Overall a very enjoyable way to spend our last evening in Bali.

Back at the villa we have a couple of night caps and a dip in the pool before bed.
I can't believe our first Bali adventure is nearly over...........so sad.

Thursday - Day 18
Waking to my last morning in Bali I see the sun is shining brighter than it has throughout our whole trip. Oh that would be right!!!!

I've arranged for the Frangipani Villa driver to pick us up around 12.45pm for our airport transfer.
Our flight isn't till 3.50pm but I have no idea how long this will take and although both Kadek and I think this is a little more time than we need, no-one can predict what the traffic may be doing and I'm not prepared to take any chances.

We decide to go out for breakfast and come back to pack later.
I'm keen on sitting overlooking the beach and we toss around a few ideas before deciding to wander through the Puri Santrian and see where the breakfast dining takes place and take it from there.
Its a gorgeous morning.
Walking through the grounds of the Puri, it occurs to me that I miss this lush vegetation when staying in a villa.

The entrance


Garden Wing

Entering the dining room we inquire about having breakfast here.
Price wise it's actually less than we are expecting and cheaper than at home and we are ushered to a table before we really have time to make a decision as to whether this suits.
Looks to be a reasonable spread and it's not overly busy.


Managing to indulge ourselves fairly well we wander outside to check out the grounds, pools and the beach.


Beach Wing







Bungalow patio

Out onto Jl. Cemara we slowly walk back to the villa one last time.
I'm really looking forward to be seeing my 4 legged ones again as I've missed them so much, but I'm
feeling a little melancholic to be leaving Bali.
We do the big clean up trying to make sure our cases won't way over as I forgot to upgrade our luggage allowance and had done an early check in before we left Oz.
Won't do this again, idiot.


Of course the driver is early, maybe I should have booked him for 1.30pm. LOL
We say goodbye to Kadek and the villa before heading off down the road leaving so many memories in our wake.
It's certainly been an interesting few weeks where not a lot went according to plan, but we've managed to see the funny side to most things.

Once at the airport we have a long walk to the terminals from the drop off point and an even longer wait till our flight is listed on the departure screen.
It's a bit hot to stay outside for any great length of time but Trevor knows that once we go through the checkpoints he won't be able to fit in another stinky smoke unless he finds one of those fumigation closets they call smoking rooms in airports.

We check in around 1.45pm and once all the paperwork etc is complete decide to head to the Dewi departure lounge as we get a discount for flying Air Asia. At least it's clean, comfy and A/C.

It's a pretty uneventful flight home and I spend most of the time trying to work out how we can lengthen our trip in October.
I know I'll find a way somehow, it just hasn't hit me yet..........


1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I am planning to make a present for my girlfriend birthday and i would like to give her as a gift a trip to bali.

    My first question is regarding the weather. We have holidays at the beginning of July so I would like to ask if this is a good season to go or if it is raining to much?

    My second question is about a Small villa I would rent. I ve find this one in Seminyak http://www.divinovillas.com/elegant_indonesia_accommodation_for_rent/profile.htm that I like very much. Do you know if the area is good? are there nice beaches in this part of the inslad?.

    Thank you very much! your help is highly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete